Friday, July 22, 2011

Daddy's Little Girl

So for those of you who really know me you know that I love music. Growing up I have heard the stories of how I would make my brothers sit down and listen to me for forever while I would sing and put on a show. When I was 4 or 5 my parents put me in lessons to learn how to play the Violin. I was good at it but it got to the point where practicing for hours on end took the enjoyment out of it for me because it was being forced. Singing however was something I did because I enjoyed it not necessarily because I thought it would take me anywhere or that people would even listen to me it just became an outlet for me a way to express myself. It always amazed me how people no matter what stage of life, circumstance or gender could connect through music. Music is a universal language and I love that it has the ability to speak to a persons soul. It is something everyone can understand.

I made an interesting observation about myself a while back. I am the type of person that listens to the same few songs over and over and over again until I move on to something else (obviously) but I was thinking about it and my favorite songs at the time are songs that I can relate to in that moment. Somehow it explains my thoughts, current situation or feelings. Hence why the titles of each post I make may not make sense to what I am writing, but really it does because each one is a title of a song that relates to what I am posting. Cheesy I know...but I kinda like it! :) 

So I got a small blast from the past today when looking through some things I found videos of me in high school performing. (although I must admit they are a little embarrassing) I look at them and I see all the things I did wrong. (granted part is due to the awful quality of the recording but still...) No stage presence, engaging the audience, tone quality...yada yada yada. But it is cool to see where I was and how far I have come since then. So what the hay! I'll post them hahaha


My dad is my biggest fan! He cracks me up! I have always appreciated his enthusiasm for my love for music. I am so grateful to him and all that he has done for me especially in regards to allowing me to follow my dreams. In high school he would always ask me to sing for him and encouraged me to sing at my school concerts so I did. You have to get your practice in somewhere right? I just found a few videos and it gave me a good chuckle so I thought I'd share them with you! The second video is at my last concert in high school and I dedicated the song to my parents because I knew it would mean a lot to them and I felt like this song described how I felt about them and the fact that I was about to move out on my own and away from them. It all just seemed to fit so perfectly. <3 



No matter where I am or what I am doing in life. Music will always be a part of me. I appreciate the impact it has had on my life and the friendships I have made and strengthened through music. I know there are better singers as well as performers than me. Music has never been about being the best. It has just been about doing something I love and something that brings me joy! I think everyone needs and deserves to have something like that in their life. An outlet an escape from the world a place of solitude and peace. Far too many things in life are about competition or doing things for the wrong reasons on my journey to find joy I have found that most important above almost all else is to find something you love and incorporate it into your everyday life. There is no need to do it to make money or beat someone else to the punch but to satisfy your own soul. I pray that everyone can find this sort of joy in their own lives. For me, it is music.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment